Saturday, March 02, 2013

Wet Curry and Dry Wine

I've been away for several weekends in a row. Each trip was fun - the race thing in Orlando was notable in this regard, as was the interview needed to have a(nother) dog join the family - but I notice keenly the lack of pre-workweek time when I don't have it. Arriving home at 10 p.m. and reporting to work at 7:30 a.m. the next day is kind of, not to put to fine a point on it, a bummer.  All the more so when one relies, as so many of us do, on split-second timing for dinners, kid activities and so on, and when weekends are the time when shopping, cleaning and cooking mostly happen. Not to mention laundry, but the less said about that the better.

Anyway, I'm here today and making up for lost time. There have been two basketball games, resulting in the slightly regrettable end of my daughter's basketball season with the second loss in a double-elimination playoff series (she's sad but I - well, let me put it this way:  basketball started in NOVEMBER which is quite long enough to my way of thinking), frolicking with the dog, some DVR clearing (Nigella! Dharma & Greg!) and, to set me up for future weekends away, cooking.

I'm one of those women who is deeply in love with her slow cooker and who makes use of a stand alone freezer. With basketball on this weekend's agenda I zipped up via slow cookers a batch each of yellow dal and wet curry, both of which will be frozen for future meals. Now, a good friend of mine - also my former boss and emigre from Delhi - is completely scandalized by my efforts to make Indian-type food in my slow cookers but I am undeterred by her lack of enthusiasm. I would go mad without a wide variety of options in my freezer and what my dal lacks in authenticity it more than makes up for in delicious convenience.

Wet curry, pre-cooking. Better than it looks!
Likewise the curry.  This is the kind of thing that you freeze in cup-size portions and then add to whatever meat or veg you cook up, maybe with a little broth or canned diced tomatoes to loosen it a bit. For this, a good amount of onion, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, turmeric, chiles and...I don't know, salt and stuff, cover the waterfront. After 10 or so hours  all will blend up and then freeze nicely. I'll be glad for this as spring marches on and free time becomes more scarce.

So that's that. I've been more productive, household-wise, than yesterday and am glad for it. Between a late-breaking conference call and the first of my daughter's weekend games, I was completely done in by last night's dinner time. I had planned on pizza but...no crust was started and whatever. Flash forward half an hour and we sat before Vietnamese noodle bowls and BYO sauvignon blanc, trying to explain to the kids the difference between "wet" and "dry" wines. As dinner conversations go it was a great way to close up a busy, exasperating, and mostly fun week.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails