I cannot tell you how many times over the last three months some or other thing happened and I thought, "oooh! Blogworthy". Or maybe a child suggested that something would be interesting and I agreed and then...nothing. I'm processing a lot, though, and always thinking of here and you. I'm inspired by Becky's commitment to post every day in November - I think there's an acronym for this - but not inspired enough to actually do it, too. Maybe weekly, I could do. Yes! Weekly until the end of the year? That seems a reasonable expectation. Let's do it.
So. How are you, then? Are you part of the Hot Water Bath Facebook group? Yes, I know. As Faux Fuschia has famously suggested, say what you will about me, I'm a joiner. Most of our canning content has migrated there so if you are looking for something you can't find in my archives it just might be at Mr. Z's little thingymadoodle.
What's left consists largely of the following:
1) Months and ages ago I received an e-mail from someone who claimed to be alarmed by my promotion of, ahem, the patriarchy. I'm not sure what I was supposed to do about that or offer in response. Pictures of my son in the kitchen? Posts about my job and the men who take my direction? A pledge to stop cooking entirely? I don't know. I found it odd, really.
2) Where do you stand on Hiram Walker's Pumpkin Liquor? I don't know. In theory, this could be the Egg Nog game changer I've long sought. If not, though, the downside could be very significant. Thoughts?
3) I'm in the middle of my employer's annual review process and recently was compelled to compose my self-appraisal. In my head this is created of nothing but variations on the phrase "I am awesome" but the reality comes out more like, "if you don't mind so terribly, would you perhaps see your way clear to, um, liking me?". Because I am fiercely competitive, I am alarmed at my own behavior.
4) A confession: I am obsessed with "freezer cooking" blogs. This post is particularly inspiring, focusing on football-based merriment as it does. Although, duh, I am on record as being kind of into the whole preparing-food-in-advance thing, I felt compelled to prove my allegiance to team sports and my free-standing freezer alike by producing, in quantity, nacho toppings such as shredded Buffalo chicken and chili, and sausage balls. Go ahead, it's o.k. to mock, but when you're done mocking I'll still have that shredded Buffalo chicken.
5) My farmer pal dropped by the other day offering a large box of apples, saying he wasn't sure of their variety. What else could I do but make applesauce? So I did, but it wasn't very good. You know those little red cinnamon candies? Turns out that they really can save an insipid applesauce. Take note.
6) Now that my oldest is 11 (!) I need take more care in logging out of things. A couple days ago I was perusing Nerf guns on Amazon - because I am exactly the kind of parent that promotes the patriarchy as well as violent play - but ended up just kind of wandering away when the heat (read: kids hanging around my desk) was on. Later on, the Boy sat down to look for a gift for his sister (!!), looked up Amazon and found all kinds of "what you just looked at" notifications. Same way, he zipped over to gmail to check on a note from a friend and discovered in my inbox a notice that read in its subject "REMOTE CONTROL HELICOPTER ORDER CONFIRMATION". Right. PSA: log out, already.